Category: Healthy Cooking, Lunch, Traditional
Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 35 Mins
வாழைத்தண்டு (Banana stem) is a fiber-rich vegetable that comes from the very noble banana plant. The versatility of banana is very well known, for every part of it is useful to mankind in some ways. Banana stem is available throughout the year in India, while in the US, I find it very rare. While I see this fiber-rich goodie, I quickly grab them and make a simple poriyal as this or pachadi out of this. It requires a little patience to clean and chop this, however, the nutrient and medicinal value of this vegetable are worth the spend time for it. I add soaked moong dal along with this poriyal to enhance its flavor. Let’s check on how to prepare this yummy, healthy, and fiber-loaded poriyal.
- Main Ingredients
- Remove the outer thin stems of the banana stem and peel the outer covering of the banana stem with a peeler.
- Slice them into thick circles and keep removing the fiber that comes in between them. Chop the banana stem into small blocks and place them immersed in water added with buttermilk. This is done to avoid discoloration of the vegetable.
- Meanwhile, soak the moong dal for 20 mins in the side. Once the banana stem is chopped, heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, temper with the ingredients in the to temper section. Once it splutters, drain the banana stem from water and add it to the pan. Stir continuously for 3 mins and add the soaked moong dal.
- Cover with the lid and cook for about 8 – 10 mins, occasionally checking them. not required to add water, as the vegetable itself will ooze out water.
- After its cooked, add salt as needed and mix uniformly. finally, add grated coconut and stir for 2 mins and switch off the stove.
- Flavorful and healthy banana stem/vazhaithandu poriyal is ready to be served.
- Banana stem is rich in potassium and Vit. B6 and aids in the production of insulin and haemoglobin.
- Banana stem is a diuretic, that eliminates toxins from the body. Hence it is often referred to people suffering from kidney stones.