Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 10 Mins Total Time: 20 Mins
Tomato Chutney (தக்காளி சட்னி) is a weekly routine for a day in my house to take a break from the regular coconut chutney. My mom makes wonderful tomato chutney and I still remember the days we eat an additional dosa or idli, just for the sake of this chutney. This is my brother’s favorite and he likes them with hot idlis. 🙂 Who counts on the number of Idlis or dosas, when we have a perfect side dish like this. Over to the recipe now.
- Roast and Grind
- Tempering Ingredients
- Wash and roughly chop the tomatoes. Heat oil in a pan and add channa dal. Roast till golden brown and remove from fire.
- In the same oil, add red chilies and roast till they are done. Set aside with the channa dal.
- Add roughly chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until they turn mushy. Switch off the stove and allow tomatoes to cool down.
- Once cooled down, grind channa dal and red chili along with grated coconut, soaked tamarind and salt first, followed by sauteed tomatoes to a smooth consistency.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and heat a pan for the tempering.
- Temper with the ingredients given in the “For temper” section. Serve with hot idlis or dosas.
- Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that is helpful to cure many illnesses. It is also known to protect the skin from harmful UV rays.
- Always clean tomatoes before use. These fruits are easily attacked by various pests and insects.