Category: Healthy Cooking, Lunch, Traditional
Cooking Method: Pressure Cooking, Sauteing
Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 35 Mins Total Time: 50 Mins
Surakai kootu ( Lauki Kootu) is a simple kootu and best combo for Vathal kulambu. The sweetness of surakai/bottle gourd balances the spiciness of any south -Indian curry. Surakai /bottle gourd/lauki is rich in water content and often is used in Indian cooking. A wide range of dishes ranging from soups, main course to dessert can be done with this noble vegetable that is almost found throughout the year. This surakkai kootu is our family favorite, especially to the LO at home. The mild sweetness it renders when combined with the protein-rich lentils linger the taste buds. Do try this simple kootu and pair up with a spicy curry of choice.
- Main Ingredients
- To Grind
- Wash and Peel the skin of bottle gourd. Chop them into cubes and set aside.
- Wash moong dal and add the chopped bottle gourd pieces to it. Add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. Pressure cook them for two whistles and switch off the flame.
- Meanwhile, in a mixer, add coconut, green chili, jeera, rice flour and ground them to a fine paste.
- Once the pressure is done, add the grounded coconut paste to it. Add required salt and allow it to boil.
- Cook them for 4- 5 mins, until the rawness goes away and the bottle gourd- moong dal comes to a thicker consistency.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Heat a small pan and add a tsp of oil to it. Once they shimmer, add mustard seeds and urad dal, followed by finely chopped small onions and curry leaves.
- Fry till they are golden brown and add them to the bottle gourd kootu. Serve them hot with rice and vathal kulambu. It can be had as such with ghee and rice too.
- Instead of pressure cooking, bottle gourd and moong dal can also be cooked in a closed pan for about 15 - 20 mins.
- You can also make a tadka with onion vadagam instead of mustard seeds and small onions.