There are some tired days when we want a quick fix meal. Although one-pot meal comes in handy, we always want some accompaniment apart from the papadam/ appalam and pickle. One such is the raita. While I was doing my grocery shopping this week, these colorful organic rainbow carrot bags got my attention. I quickly grabbed them and made a simple carrot poriyal already. While I still have a bunch sitting in my fridge, some of them went into making this yummy and colorful carrot raitha. We had this chill raita with a simple vegetable pulao for a lazy weekend lunch. You can prepare using the regular carrots too. This can be an accompaniment for any variety of rice/one-pot meal or rotis for a regular family meal or any get-togethers.
- Wash, peel, and grate the carrots using a grater. In a steamer, steam these carrots for about 5- 6 mins.
- Meanwhile, strain the curd using a cheesecloth and hang it for 30 mins until the water had strained out.
- Finely chop the green chili and add them to the beaten curd. Mix in black salt, pepper powder, garam masala powder.
- Bring down the steamed carrot to room temperature. Once they have cooled down, combine the carrot and place them in the fridge until you serve.
- Tastes great when had chill. Best accompaniment with roti / pulao and biryani varieties. We had them with a simple vegetable pulao.
- I have used organic rainbow carrots. You can replace it with regular carrots too.
- Instead of black salt, you can use regular iodized salt. If you intend to add chat masala, make sure to check-in for the ingredient list in it as they already have black salt in it.
- Instead of steaming the carrots, you can sauté them too for a couple of minutes.