Category: Drinks, Fasting Recipes, Festive Recipes, Traditional
Cooking Method: Boiling, Pressure Cooking, Sauteing
Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Difficult Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 40 Mins Total Time: 50 Mins
Paal Payasam(பால் பாயசம்) is a rich and very yummy dessert that can be served for any occasion. Being the auspicious day of Saraswati Pooja, let us make this yummy payasam and get the blessings of Goddess Shakthi. It can be made in a heavy-bottomed vessel or in a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time. For the busy ladies of today, I have shared the easier pressure cooker method. This is one of the payasam that I love to have. Do enjoy this sweet for the prasadam and celebrate this festive season. Happy Saraswati Pooja to all!!!
- In a pan, heat a tsp of ghee and roast the cashews. Set them aside. In the same pan, roast the basmati rice until they turn aromatic.
- Place them in a pressure cooker and add 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 cup of milk. Put a small spoon or a plate inside it and close the lid. Pressure cook for 3- 4 whistles. ( The plate/spoon added is to prevent the bottom being burnt)
- Once cooled down, open the lid and mash the cooked rice with a ladle. Add the sugar and let it melt in that heat.
- Switch on the stove in a medium flame and heat them along with the leftover a quarter cup of milk. Heat until it turns frothy and switch off.
- Garnish with saffron strands and roasted cashews.
- Make sure that the rice is cooked well for many whistles, which makes the payasam creamy.
- I usually do not add any essence or flavors. If you like, you can add a drop of rose essence too to enhance the flavor.