Vadai / Vada is a well – known snack in South- India. These deep fried indulgence are made with lentils like Urad Dal, Channa Dal and Toor Dal. Maddhur Vada is a vada that can be made under 15 mins and does not need any soaking. Maddur is a small town in the state of Karnataka which is very famous for this Maddur Vada.
We had this Maddur Vada during our morning train travel from Chennai to Bengaluru years back. We enjoyed this crispy vada that was served on a piece of paper. The Vada was rightly spiced with green chillies and some caramelized onions. The Vada was in size of a palm, thin, crisp outside and soft inside. Even the little one liked this Maddur Vada and made sure to eat his share of vada after his small nap. I recreated this bad for a quick, gloomy evening tea time and we enjoyed them. Do try this tasty Maddur Vada and satisfy your tastebuds.
For other deep fried snacks, follow the links: Pepper Thattai, Thenkuzhal, Ribbon Pakoda
- I have added raw onions and green chillies to make this vada. You can also sauté them for a minute and then add them to make dough.
- Roasted peanuts can also be added to the dough.
- Make uniform sized Vada from the edges to the center for even cooking.
- Adjust the red chili powder and green chillies based on your spice levels.
- You can replace hot Oil with Ghee while making the dough.