Karthigai Deepam is an important festival celebrated at houses and temples all over in Tamilnadu. It falls in the Karthigai Masam of the Tamil calendar. It is to be believed that a constellation of six stars group together to form a pendant shape. Thirukkarthigai is celebrated with lamps placed all over the houses for three days – day one being the Bharani karthigai, the second day is the thirukkarthikai and the day next. On the occasion of Thirukkarthigai, we usually fast from the morning permitting to fruits or just liquids and break the fast in the evening after performing pooja with maavilakku, appam, karthikai kozhukattai, and avalpori. In addition to some houses, they also prepare this “Karthigai Adai” for breaking the fast or have at noon for their lunch. It is very simple to make, yet very flavorful and does not require any fermentation time. This adai is mildly spiced by itself and does not require any accompaniment. We had them with a pint of butter and a piece of jaggery.
- Soak the raw rice, idli rice along with the dals for about 2-3 hrs. One they are soaked, drain excess water and grind them into a batter consistency by adding little by little water.
- Once they are ground, transfer to a bowl and add salt, grated coconut, curry leaves.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the jeera and peppercorns coarsely. Add them to the adai batter and mix well to combine.
- Heat a Tawa and pour a ladle of the adai batter and swirl in a circular motion. Drizzle sesame oil for extra flavor and flip over to the other side after one minute.
- Once the other side is also done, transfer to a plate and serve with a dollop of butter and jaggery piece.
- I have grounded the batter to a fine paste. You can also ground it coarsely as we do for the regular adai.
- You can make a thick and small adai or a thin and a bigger size like mine.
- It is not required to ferment this batter. You can prepare adais as soon as you grind the batter.
- I have added both grounded jeera and peppercorns. You can just limit with grounded pepper if you wish to.