Dal Makhani is a very healthy and creamy Punjabi curry. The main ingredients for this are black Urad Dal, Rajma, butter and cream. As the name goes, this dal is tempered with butter and finished off with some fresh cream. This Dal makhani is rich in protein content from both the pulses and pairs up great with rotis or rice or a wholesome meal by itself.
Dal Makhani is so famous that you can find them in any Indian restaurants locally and all over the globe. The ingredients to make this Dal is easily available, though a little prep is needed in soaking the dal overnight or a minimum of 8 hrs to attain a soft and creamy Dal Makhani. As the name goes, this Dal is made with a butter base and it gives an elevation in its taste and flavor. I love this dal so much that a bowl of this Dal alone makes up my meal with salad. Try this very healthy Dal Makhani and serve with any roti/ rice of your choice.
For other dal recipes in the website, refer the links below:
- Dal Makhani can be made using both Urad Dal and Rajma or simply Urad Dal alone.
- I have used tomato puree in this recipe. You can also add fine chopped tomatoes to it.
- If you do not have cream, try replacing it with one tbsp of milk.
- Soaking the dal for a plenty of time, results in soft and mushy Dal Makhani. Give it a minimum of 5 - 6 hrs or over night.
- To make this vegan style, try replacing vegan butter and finish off with coconut cream.